My favorite band is Underworld. They were set to play three shows over three days in three different cities, and my girlfriend Stepho and my friend Sam and I followed them to each date: Las Vegas, Oakland and Los Angeles.
It was awesome. Except for L.A., where Underworld was to headline the HARD Summer festival.
Riot Police emptied the Forum last night. We got out just in time. Hooligans got the whole festival shut down before any of the bands played. I am so fucking bummed. This trek was a huge deal for me.
Clusterfuck is really the only appropriate word. Everything about this event went wrong, from the minute you arrived at the venue. I won’t be surprised if this puts HARD out of business, what with refunding all the tickets (i assume), paying the artists and paying the venue. Not to mention the serious damage to HARD’s reputation. This is a class A disaster.
- There was no order at all to the entrances, it was anarchy — people climbing over walls and shit.
- Inside, nobody knew how to get down on the floor level. The staff were wall imbeciles, nobody could even tell you were the second stage was.
- Frustrated with the lack of access, some hooligans started jumping over the wall of the bleacher section and onto the floor.
- Fire marshall came in and caused some trouble, prompting the organizers to BEG people to sit down and back away from railings. Nearly everybody did but even 1.5 hours later the music still had not resumed.
- Riot police called in, rumors of a fatality.
- Finally, everybody noticed the sound guys packing up and Tweets and Texts from the outside said Underworld and Chromeo and the other artists had already left the building.
Total fucking FAIL.
My friends and I did the whole trek: Vegas, Oakland and back home to LA, and it was such a big deal to me to do this. I am crushed and furious. I’m embarrassed for my city.
Underworld were amazing in Vegas and Oakland, though, and seeing them two nights in a row and meeting up with old friends in both cities was an amazing experience.